0 78

Cited 0 times in

Release or transection of superficial medial collateral ligament during open‐wedge high tibial osteotomy demonstrated similar clinical outcomes and valgus laxity

Authors
 Se-Han Jung  ;  Chong-Hyuk Choi  ;  Sungjun Kim  ;  Min Jung  ;  Kwangho Chung  ;  Hyunjun Jeong  ;  Sung-Hwan Kim 
Citation
 KNEE SURGERY SPORTS TRAUMATOLOGY ARTHROSCOPY, Vol.32(2) : 265-273, 2024-02 
Journal Title
KNEE SURGERY SPORTS TRAUMATOLOGY ARTHROSCOPY
ISSN
 0942-2056 
Issue Date
2024-02
MeSH
Collateral Ligaments* ; Humans ; Joint Instability* / etiology ; Joint Instability* / surgery ; Knee Joint / surgery ; Osteoarthritis, Knee* / surgery ; Osteotomy / methods ; Retrospective Studies ; Tibia / surgery
Keywords
high tibial osteotomy ; knee ; medial collateral ligament ; osteoarthritis ; valgus laxity
Abstract
PURPOSE: To analyse whether valgus laxity and clinical outcomes differ depending on whether the superficial medial collateral ligament (sMCL) is released or transected during medial open-wedge high tibial osteotomy (MOWHTO). METHODS: Consecutive patients who underwent MOWHTO and subsequent radiological follow-up for at least 2 years were retrospectively evaluated. The patients were divided into release and transection groups, according to the sMCL manipulation technique. Each patient was assessed for the following variables on valgus stress radiographs taken before surgery and at the 12- and 24-month follow-ups: the absolute value of valgus (ABV) and side-to-side difference (SSD) between the affected and normal sides. The differences between preoperative SSD and those at 12 and 24 months were respectively calculated and defined as delta SSD (DeltaSSD). The Visual Analogue Scale, Lysholm knee, International Knee Documentation Committee subjective, and Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome scores were used to evaluate patient-reported outcomes. RESULTS: Eighty-five patients were included in the study. Forty-two patients (49.6%) underwent sMCL release, and the remaining 43 patients (50.4%) underwent sMCL transection. No significant differences were observed in the ABV and SSD of valgus laxity at the different time points between the two groups (n.s.). Furthermore, no significant differences were observed in the DeltaSSD at the 12- and 24-month follow-ups between the two groups (n.s.). Significant improvement from preoperative values was observed in all patient-reported outcomes (p < 0.001), with no significant differences between the two groups at any time point (n.s.). CONCLUSION: Significant improvements in clinical outcomes were observed, regardless of the technique used. Postoperative valgus laxity did not occur with either technique. The transection technique, which can be performed more simply and quickly, demonstrated similar clinical outcomes and valgus laxity to the release technique.
Full Text
https://esskajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ksa.12041
DOI
10.1002/ksa.12041
Appears in Collections:
1. College of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Orthopedic Surgery (정형외과학교실) > 1. Journal Papers
1. College of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Radiology (영상의학교실) > 1. Journal Papers
Yonsei Authors
Kim, Sungjun(김성준) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7876-7901
Kim, Sung Hwan(김성환) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5743-6241
Chung, Kwangho(정광호) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3097-3332
Jung, Min(정민) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7527-4802
Jung, Se-Han(정세한) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8422-093X
Choi, Chong Hyuk(최종혁) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9080-4904
URI
https://ir.ymlib.yonsei.ac.kr/handle/22282913/198665
사서에게 알리기
  feedback

qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Browse

Links