4 266

Cited 0 times in

A Pilot Study for Preoperative Concurrent Chemoradiotherapy with S-1 and Cisplatin for Locally Advanced Gastric Cancer

Authors
 Chung MJ  ;   Kim H  ;   Jung YS  ;   Shin SK  ;   Hyung WJ  ;   Noh SH  ;   Seong J  ;   Lee YC  ;   Song SY 
Citation
 Hepato-Gastroenterology, Vol.60(122) : 382-386, 2013 
Journal Title
 Hepato-Gastroenterology 
ISSN
 0172-6390 
Issue Date
2013
Abstract
BACKGROUND/AIMS: This study aims to determine the feasibility and effectiveness of concurrent chemoradiotherapy with the combination of S-1 and cisplatin in locally advanced gastric cancer. METHODOLOGY: Treatment-naive patients with locally advanced gastric cancer were enrolled. The patients received concurrent radiation (a total dose of 45 Gy: 25 fractions of 1.8 Gy) and chemotherapy. S-1 was given orally at 60 mg/mg² bid for 21 consecutive days with a resting period of 7 days. Cisplatin was given intravenously at 70 mg/m² for 2 hours on day 1. The tumor response was evaluated 4-5 weeks after the completion of radiotherapy, and surgical resection was tried with curative intent if possible. RESULTS: Nine patients were enrolled, and all patients completed the initially planned concurrent chemoradiotherapy. Clinical response rate was 88.9% (8/9). Seven (77.8%) out of 9 patients underwent surgery, and an R0 resection was achieved in all of them. Pathological assessment of tumor regression after preoperative chemoradiotherapy showed total regression in 1 patient (14.3%), near total regression in 2 (28.6%), moderate regression in 3 (42.9%), and minimal regression in 1 (14.3%). Grade III/IV toxicity included anemia (44.4%), neutropenia (33.3%), and thrombocytopenia (22.2%). CONCLUSIONS: Preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy with S-1 and cisplatin is feasible and safe, and could offer an improved chance of tumor regression and curative resection in patients with locally advanced gastric cancer. Further trials with larger numbers of patients are warranted.
Appears in Collections:
1. College of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Radiation Oncology (방사선종양학교실) > 1. Journal Papers
1. College of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Surgery (외과학교실) > 1. Journal Papers
1. College of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Pathology (병리학교실) > 1. Journal Papers
1. College of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학교실) > 1. Journal Papers
Yonsei Authors
Kim, Hyunki(김현기) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2292-5584
Noh, Sung Hoon(노성훈) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4386-6886
Seong, Jin Sil(성진실) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1794-5951
Song, Si Young(송시영) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1417-4314
Shin, Sung Kwan(신성관) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5466-1400
Lee, Yong Chan(이용찬) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8800-6906
Chung, Moon Jae(정문재) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5920-8549
Hyung, Woo Jin(형우진) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8593-9214
URI
https://ir.ymlib.yonsei.ac.kr/handle/22282913/87104
사서에게 알리기
  feedback

qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Browse