0 236

Cited 2 times in

Risk Factors of Disease Progression After Cataract Surgery in Chronic Angle-closure Glaucoma Patients.

Authors
 Chang Kyu Lee  ;  Na Eun Lee  ;  Samin Hong  ;  Eunmin Kang  ;  Seung Soo Rho  ;  Gong Je Seong  ;  Young Jae Hong  ;  Chan Yun Kim 
Citation
 JOURNAL OF GLAUCOMA, Vol.25(4) : 372-376, 2016 
Journal Title
 JOURNAL OF GLAUCOMA 
ISSN
 1057-0829 
Issue Date
2016
MeSH
Aged ; Cataract/complications ; Disease Progression ; Female ; Follow-Up Studies ; Glaucoma, Angle-Closure/complications ; Glaucoma, Angle-Closure/diagnosis* ; Humans ; Intraocular Pressure ; Lens Implantation, Intraocular* ; Male ; Middle Aged ; Optic Nerve Diseases/diagnosis ; Phacoemulsification* ; Retrospective Studies ; Risk Factors ; Vision Disorders/diagnosis ; Visual Fields
Keywords
glaucoma ; angle-closure glaucoma ; cataract ; visual field ; phacoemulsification
Abstract
PURPOSE: To evaluate clinical risk factors of disease progression after cataract surgery using phacoemulsification with posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation, in eyes with chronic angle-closure glaucoma (CACG) and coexisting cataract. DESIGN: Retrospective study. METHODS: The data of 56 eyes of 45 CACG patients who had undergone uncomplicated phacoemulsification with posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation were retrospectively analyzed. Disease progression was defined as glaucomatous optic nerve change or visual field (VF) deterioration according to the European Glaucoma Society guideline. Correlations between VF progression and various preoperative and postoperative factors were determined by χ and independent t tests. Linear regression analysis [(odds ratio (OR)] was used to determine predictive risk factors for disease progression using univariate and multivariate analyses. RESULTS: The mean postoperative follow-up period was 45.13 ± 17.54 (24 to 84) months. Fourteen eyes (25%) with cataracts diagnosed with CACG progressed after phacoemulsification, but the remaining 42 eyes (75%) did not. According to univariate analysis, disease progression was significantly associated with older age, more number of preoperative/postoperative antiglaucoma drugs, higher scores of preoperative pattern standard deviation, and lower scores of preoperative and postoperative visual field index (VFI) (P<0.05). Using multivariate analysis, a lower score of preoperative VFI (OR: 0.86, P=0.044) and lower postoperative intraocular pressure (IOP) reduction, which was not sustained below 20% less than the preoperative mean IOP, were significantly correlated with disease progression after cataract surgery (OR: 8.44, P=0.048). CONCLUSIONS: CACG patients with low preoperative VFI and high postoperative IOP are at risk for disease progression even after uncomplicated cataract surgery.
Full Text
http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=fulltext&AN=00061198-201604000-00023&LSLINK=80&D=ovft
DOI
10.1097/IJG.0000000000000350
Appears in Collections:
1. College of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Ophthalmology (안과학교실) > 1. Journal Papers
Yonsei Authors
Kang, Eun Min(강은민)
Kim, Chan Yun(김찬윤) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8373-9999
Seong, Gong Je(성공제) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5456-4296
Lee, Na Eun(이나은)
Hong, Sa Min(홍사민)
URI
https://ir.ymlib.yonsei.ac.kr/handle/22282913/146972
사서에게 알리기
  feedback

qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Browse