Cited 0 times in

28 0

Implant-Supported Fixed Prostheses for the Rehabilitation of Periodontally Compromised Dentitions: A 3-Year Prospective Clinical Study

Authors
 Seung-Won Yi ; Ingvar Ericsson ; Krister Nilner ; Gunnar E. Carlsson ; Chon-Kwan Kim 
Citation
 Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, Vol.3(3) : 125~134, 2001 
Journal Title
 Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research 
ISSN
 1523-0899 
Issue Date
2001
Abstract
BACKGROUND: The application of a strict hygiene maintenance care protocol following rehabilitation of periodontally compromised dentitions by means of tooth-supported fixed partial dentures has demonstrated excellent long-term treatment outcome. PURPOSE: A clinical and radiographic study was performed to document and evaluate the short- and medium-term result of occlusal rehabilitation by means of implant-supported fixed prostheses (ISFPs) in patients treated for advanced periodontal disease. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Forty-three consecutive patients were included. All patients were referred because of advanced periodontal disease. Before the implant therapy was initiated, periodontal treatment was performed and the outcome evaluated during at least a 6-month period. An individual maintenance care program was designed for each patient. All 125 implants were placed using a two-stage surgical approach. Following installation of the ISFPs, all patients underwent a baseline examination including evaluation of oral hygiene, periodontal or peri-implant conditions, and radiographs. These examinations were repeated annually during the 3-year observation period. RESULTS: No single implant was lost during the 3-year follow-up period. The percentages of plaque-harboring surfaces and bleeding units on probing were found to be low (< 10%), and no soft-tissue complications were recorded. The mean marginal bone resorption during the observation period amounted to 0.21 mm. In a few patients, apposition of marginal bone was observed. Bone loss amounting to 0.5 mm or less was found around 81% of the implants (101/125 implants). The amount of bone loss around the remaining 24 implants (19%) varied between 0.5 and 2.0 mm. CONCLUSIONS: The present clinical trial demonstrates that, at least during a 3-year period, the ISFP is an acceptable and predictable treatment option for rehabilitation in patients who have lost their teeth because of periodontal disease. This observation seems to be valid in edentulous and partially dentate jaws. A prerequisite to reach such a favorable treatment outcome is possibly the combination of the strict maintenance care program and the careful design of the ISFPs.
URI
http://ir.ymlib.yonsei.ac.kr/handle/22282913/142094
DOI
10.1111/j.1708-8208.2001.tb00132.x
Appears in Collections:
1. 연구논문 > 2. College of Dentistry > Dept. of Periodontology
Yonsei Authors
사서에게 알리기
  feedback
Link
 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1708-8208.2001.tb00132.x/abstract
Export
RIS (EndNote)
XLS (Excel)
XML

qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Browse