4 101

Cited 14 times in

Preoperative comorbidities and relationship of comorbidities with postoperative complications in patients undergoing transurethral prostate resection

Authors
 Seung Chul Yang ; Seohui Ahn ; Jeong-Yeon Hong ; Hae Keum Kil 
Citation
 Journal of Urology, Vol.185(4) : 1374~1378, 2011 
Journal Title
 Journal of Urology 
ISSN
 0022-5347 
Issue Date
2011
Abstract
PURPOSE: We retrospectively identified preoperative comorbidities and analyzed the relationship of the comorbidities to postoperative complications in patients treated with transurethral prostate resection. MATERIALS AND METHODS: We reviewed the surgical and clinical records of 1,878 patients who underwent transurethral prostate resection at a single university hospital between January 2006 and December 2009. Variables included preoperative comorbidities, intraoperative data and postoperative complications, including mortality. RESULTS: Only 32.6% of the patients had no observed preoperative comorbidity and the other 67.4% had at least 1. The incidence of comorbidities increased with age (p <0.001). The overall postoperative complication rate was 5.8%. There were 3 deaths for an overall 0.16% 30-day mortality rate. The postoperative complication rate was significantly higher in patients who had a comorbidity preoperatively and were 50 to 59 (p = 0.043), 60 to 69 (p = 0.028) and 70 to 79 years old (p = 0.017). The Charlson comorbidity index was significantly associated with postoperative complications (r(2) = 0.221, p = 0.012). CONCLUSIONS: Almost two-thirds of the patients who underwent transurethral prostate resection had various preoperative comorbidities. The fact that the preoperative comorbidity was significantly related to postoperative complications after transurethral prostate resection should be considered in perioperative management in this population.
URI
http://ir.ymlib.yonsei.ac.kr/handle/22282913/92816
DOI
10.1016/j.juro.2010.11.086
Appears in Collections:
1. 연구논문 > 1. College of Medicine > Dept. of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine
1. 연구논문 > 1. College of Medicine > Dept. of Urology
Yonsei Authors
사서에게 알리기
  feedback
Link
 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022534710051979
Export
RIS (EndNote)
XLS (Excel)
XML

qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Browse