449 527

Cited 0 times in

Clinical Presentations and the Bacterial Meningitis Score in Children with Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Pleocytosis

Other Titles
 무균성 뇌수막염 소아의 임상양상 및 Bacterial Meningitis Score의 적용 후 평가 
 Hye Eun Kwon  ;  Young-Mock Lee  ;  Joon Soo Lee  ;  Heung Dong Kim  ;  Hoon-Chul Kang 
 Journal of the Korean Child Neurology Society, Vol.21(2) : 46-52, 2013 
Journal Title
Journal of the Korean Child Neurology Society(대한소아신경학회지)
Issue Date
Meningitis aseptic ; Menngitis bacterial ; Cerebrospinal fluid leukocytosis ; Children
PURPOSE: The differential diagnosis between aseptic meningitis and bacterial meningitis in children is often very difficult. The current study was performed to investigate the clinical presentations, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and the Bacterial Meningitis Score (BMS) in children presenting with CSF pleocytosis (> or =10 WBC/mm3). METHODS: We retrospectively analyzed medical records of children (age three months-15 years) with CSF pleocytosis between January 2012 to January 2013 at Gangnam Severance Hospital. RESULTS: The dominant clinical symptoms were fever (92.5%), headache (87.5%), and vomiting (75%). Neck stiffness was noted in 20% of the patients. Three patients who were younger than three years old could not properly present meningeal signs. The majority (36 patients, 90%) were hospitalized, with a median stay of three days. There was no one who had bacterial meningitis. The BMS was calculated for all patients. Among them, 27 patients (67.5%) showed a BMS of 0 which represents very low risk for bacterial meningitis and the remaining 13 patients (32.5%) showed a BMS of 1. CONCLUSION: The BMS may be helpful to guide clinical decision making for the management of children with CSF pleocytosis. Additional multicenter studies in Korea are now needed to evaluate whether the BMS can be used to safely reduce hospital admission and antibiotic use for children with aseptic meningitis.
Files in This Item:
T201303669.pdf Download
Appears in Collections:
1. College of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Pediatrics (소아과학교실) > 1. Journal Papers
Yonsei Authors
Kang, Hoon Chul(강훈철) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3659-8847
Kwon, Hye Eun(권혜은)
Kim, Heung Dong(김흥동) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8031-7336
Lee, Young Mock(이영목) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5838-249X
Lee, Joon Soo(이준수) ORCID logo https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9036-9343
사서에게 알리기


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.