Missionary Activities after the Birth of Yonsei University
연세의사학, Vol.18(1) : 157~173, 2015
In 1957, Severance Medical College and Yonhee College merged to become Yonsei University. Severance Medical College, which suffered severe damage during the Korean War, was striving to reconstruct its destroyed hospital and college buildings. In the end, the destruction provided an opportunity to make a new start. The merging of the two colleges, which had been discussed during the colonial period, became a reality through the process of reconstruction. U.S. Eighth Army Forces donated a hospital in Sinchon in memory of the American soldiers that had fallen during the war; this contribution accelerated the merging process. The CMB donated a medical college building on the Sinchon campus. With the additional help of United Board and benevolent individuals, a huge medical center Was realized. Dr. Emest Weiss was in charge of the construction of the medical center building on the Sinchon campus. Other medical missionaries also made great contributions to the development of Yonsei Medical Center: Dr. Ernest B. Struthers launched Korea``s first ambulatory program for tuberculosis control. Dr. Kenneth Scott served as a surgeon for patients with old bum-scar contractions. His wife, Ann, took charge of the new Crippled Children``s Center, which was supported by Church World Service. These missionary doctors are not as well known as the earlier missionary doctors. However, their dedication and contributions to the Korean people Should be remembered.